Delicious spicy masala dhal.
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup masoor dal (small orange, a.k.a. "red" lentils)
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3-4 small shallots
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes or finely chopped fresh chilli
- 1/2 cup well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
Bring lentils and three cups of water to a boil with turmeric in a heavy saucepan. Gently simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until falling apart, about 20 minutes.
When the lentils are cooked, heat the ghee (or oil) in a small frying pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Then cook the shallots, garlic, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and chilli until mustard seeds begin to pop and/or turn gray and cumin seeds brown.
Stir spice mixture into lentils with coconut milk, cilantro, lemon juice, and salt and bring to a simmer.